Wednesday, May 17, 2006

#4..."Awkward Silence"

I have found my #4.... If you can recall from my last post I didn't know what to write for #4.. And then it hit me the other day..Awkward Silence. I have had many conversations with Nathan Johnson about my chronic awkward silence problem. "HI, my name is Victoria Leber, and I am an Awkward silence starter." Yep thats right.. I seem to start awkward silence..Not on purpose but........naturally. For example when I am at work, I always introduce myself and then.......awkward silence..here's an example.
Me: "Hello, good morning!"
Patient: "Hi"
Me: "My name is Victoria and I'm here to take you down to the pre-op holding area"
Patient: ( silence)
Me: " okay....well we're ready to go."

You see they have nothing to say because I leave that awkwardness and they really can't say anything..but there are many other instances outside of work.. Like when I hold conversations with new people..especially at church.. It's always Hey I'm Vickie ..I'm JOe.. then I walk away cuz I have created the akward silence.. Ohh and I went to Caribou Coffee and this guy and another guy were talking , and he too was an awkward silence starter..But he was much better at trying to start up another conversation..But yeah soo that is my #4..and thats it...........

4 comments:

Nate said...

It was also a bit awkward that you weren't spelling "awkward" right in your post. Now I'm starting to wonder if I'm spelling it right.

Still, the awkward silence thing is a strange phenomenon and you should be proud for having mastered it. I don't think you've ever done the silent thing around me, though.

Nate said...

Ha! So you DID change the spelling! Now I look like an idiot.

Anonymous said...

HEY VICKIE...
have a great day today :D

love, me!

Philip, April, and Malachi said...

"Mmmmmbop ba doobie dop a doo wop, a doobie da da mmmmbop ba doobie dop a dooo. yeah, yeah..." "BUSTED!" :oPPPPPP -April