Thursday, October 09, 2008

Kath...

A few months ago I experienced something so devastating, so traumatically sad...
I thought about posting something but I couldn't find the words to say how I was feeling... I suppose I still find it hard but I just really want to try.
I got to know the sweetest 11 year old girl.. She had long blonde hair, blue eyes, mature beyond her years..She had a rough past, dad left when she was born, mom died when she was four. And was adopted by her cousin..She considered him a father someone who truly loved her. She came to camp, and everyone instantly noticed her..All the counselors knew who she was, and so did the boys.... She also reflected Jesus Christ, which made her even more beautiful.
The week before she left she baked our group cookies...She told me I was her second favorite counselor next to Skipper. We cut up over "Old Gregg" and played pig in a poke with Piper's group by the Gazebo.. That Friday she was my Camper of the Week..She was a leader and showed all the character values..Especially faith. The verse I remember her saying was " Trust in the Lord and He will make your paths straight"
Monday was a normal day, a little hotter than the previous week but normal.. Tuesday the same, except without Katherine..I thought she was sick or something..Wednesday still not there and all the counselors were acting funny and nobody was talking to me. Until I asked what was going on......
The response was something I will never forget.
"Katherine died last night....She was murdered"
I immediately fell to my knees and wept bitterly........
How could something like that happen..Why her?What happened? Who did it?
Too many questions with no answers....My heart ached as if it were my own child.
I knew she was a believer and yet I couldn't grasp my mind over the fact that she was gone.. It was a dream I wanted to wake up from.....

It's been 4 months since her death.. And slowly more things are being revealed about her death..More things that become harder to grasp..More questions, more prayer..
I can't stop thinking about it......

3 comments:

Amy Frederick said...

Vickie,
this story is so devestating. I am so sorry to hear about it. I was wondering who this little girl was you and Carrie were talking about. I truly am sorry to hear it. It's a shame that our world is filled with such ugliness. I must say though that God blessed you with her presense, as well as you with her. She is somewhere safe and is home, that's encouraging. I do not know what it feels like, but I'll be praying for you and anyone else that may be involved. May the Lord be glorified with your service in her short life. Thank you for sharing this and don't let it get into your mind that it's all you think about. Pray that the Lord would grant closure and peace of mind. Love you and hope to talk to you soon...may these words be an encouragement, if not then you may delete them.....

kaitlyn johnson said...

hey, i almost started to cry when i was reading about katherine. It about all the good times we had, and all the laughs. She could always cheer anybody up. But now i know that she is in a better place and she will still always be an amazing friend of mine.
-Kaitlyn-

m said...

i'm sorry to here this
all i can say is some lights burn very brightly for a short time and that short time is so blessed a lot of people share that light
loss is always painful in the physical realm but we are still all one in Christ and we can never be seperated from Him or each other in Him .
all things work for good to those who love God and are called according to his purpose
i have started to live by that it is my only rope to cling to in pain .
tears aren't bad or i'm in trouble